I've been looking at a couple book covers for months now, pondering them as possibilities for my thesis novel, Sehmah's Truth, and its sequel, Jennara in Flux.
Today, I took my first step on the path of becoming an Indie author and purchased both covers from Laura Gordon at The Book Cover Machine, finally committing to the idea that there is an alternative path available to me and one that is currently more appealing than the traditional one.
Am I crazy to want to go the Indie author route? I don't think so. The option to have complete creative control over my work - to be able to choose my own illustrator for Tyrabbisaurus Rex and my own cover for Sehmah's Truth, to have the ability to create works that do not fall into prescribed genres or meet the exacting length requirements of traditional publishing - all of this is super appealing to me.
And so today, I took that first step. A scary step. One that only involved the purchase of covers. Those covers are now saved to my laptop. They've been imported into Scrivener, to serve as the covers of these books. Now it only takes the next step, and the one after that, and the one after that. Finish the books. Format the books. Launch them into the world.
We'll see how my courage holds up over the next few months and whether those book covers will ever see the light of day.